NATIONAL MONEY “NUEVO SOL”
The Nuevo Sol is the currency of Peru since 1991.
Currently circulating the following coins 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents; 1, 2 and 5 Nuevos Soles and bills of 10, 20, 50, 100 and 200 Nuevos Soles.
The exchange rate, especially the american dollar sets daily by the Central Reserve Bank of Peru..
FOREIGN MONEY AND TRAVELLER’S CHECKS
The currency has greater acceptability in the Cusco City is the American Dollar, all other currencies, except the Euro, are difficult to change outside Lima.
Although the dollar is accepted, in some small places will be necessary to have Nuevos Soles to make a purchase or pay a service.
All branches of banks change american dollars and travelers checks. The latter are more difficult to change and the change offered by them is lower than cash.
Changing dollars or travelers checks can also be performed in some hotels, restaurants and shops, but to a lower change.
The dollar exchange rate can vary from one day to the next, either in banks or paralell market, this will depend on the Central Reserve Bank of Peru and the following agreement between the parallel market money changers.
The moneychangers are located around the Plaza de Armas and the first two blocks from El Sol Avenue, generally offer a favorable exchange rate. It will not give any results negotiate monetary exchange value offered. Because previously agreed the value of the exchange rate between them.
If you doubt about the value of the exchange, you can to ask in an adjacent exchange local; the value of the exchange should match in this one, otherwise you will choose the most suitable offer.
While some tourists change their money into the paralell market, if you have time, it is preferable to make the change in one official bank for make the transaction more secure. The most important banks are located on Avenida Del Sol.
We recommend you carry tickets of lesser value, because often the vendors, shops and taxis don’t have change.
When you take money, pay attention that it will not be broken or old, as sellers, banks, money changers and businesses do not accept bills in that state.
Hotels, prestigious restaurants and numerous shops accept card payment, the main ones are: Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Diners and Cirrus. However, the most accepted are Visa and Mastercard.
Some of the hotels, restaurants and stores that accept payment by credit or debit card often increase 8% to the final amount.
To withdraw cash with VISA card, go to Bank Credit, for withdrawals with Mastercard go to Santander Central Hispano Bank or Wiese Sudameris, and in the case of American Express go to Lima Tours, Portal de Harinas 177, Plaza de Armas. Phone +51 84 228 431.
HOW TO DETECT COUNTERFEIT BILLS
It is important to consider the following tips to avoid being scammed with counterfeits.
1. Texture. Touch the ticket. The real bill is cotton based paper. It has a texture feature that is not counterfeit.
2. Watermark. By putting the bill up to the light, you can see clearly the watermark ticket (José Abelardo Quiñones, Raul Porres Barrenechea, Abraham Valdelomar, Jorge Basadre or Santa Rosa de Lima). Plays three things: face, value of the ticket numbers and a custom silhouette.
3. Number. In the upper left, apparently is a number incomplete. On the back, is the missing part. Against the light, these parts are complementary.
4. Color change. In the bills of 10, 20, 50 and 100, the frontal view, the color of the number indicates the value is clearly fuchsia. To incline slightly notoriously seen a gradual change to green. The same applies to the notes of 200 soles, but the difference is that the first color is copper.
1. Texture. If the dollar is false, you will notice a lower quality. The originals are rougher and counterfeiting have a texture more “oily” than the original ticket.
2. Portrait. In original tickets factions of the characters are carefully defined. The face of a counterfeit will not have many details and edges are not well defined what makes the character’s face
is lost in the background.
3. Watermark. By putting the bill up to the light, you can see the image of the face of the character that is in the bill. Should not be fine lines around the head. The watermark should look at both sides of the note.
4. Relief. The value, as well as the text “THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA”, have a very noticeable relief to the touch.